Requirements: Importing to United States of America


"STEP-BY-STEP" Guide to preparing your pet to travel to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

  1. Micro-chips are not compulsory for USA, but are advisable. Most airlines require them these days.
  2. Ensure your pet is FULLY vaccinated:- DHLP + Rabies (DOGS) and FRCPV + Rabies (CATS). The vaccination must be within 12 months, but not less than 30 days prior to departure date. There will be no quarantine if vaccinations are complete.
  3. Rabies antibody testing IS NOT a requirement for entering the USA (it is for UK, EU and Dubai).
  4. It is advisable to identify an ‘agent’ (or vet) in your destination country that will be able to advise you on the clearing procedure once the animal arrives there. However, in most States it is easy enough for you, as the owner, to collect the animal from the airport.
  5.  Your pet will need an IATA compliant travel crate as mentioned in the General Requirements. Wooden crates ARE accepted into the USA and do not require fumigation unless specified.
  6. Book your flight. If you will be using Yapperville for boarding we will arrange all this. If you will be travelling with your pet (as ‘excess’ checked baggage) you will need to contact the airline yourself to make your flight booking.
  7. Complete and sign an Application for Import Form (download). Each US State does have its own import requirements which need to be clarified by you.
  8. Get your pets’ HEALTH CERTIFICATE issued by your vet dated 4 - 5 days prior to departure. This MUST mention that the dog is free from screw worm, and must also indicate whether the animal is neutered or not.
  9. Obtain an EXPORT PERMIT (this is valid for 10 days). For this all ORIGINAL documents are required (Health Certificate, vaccination record).
  10. An Airway Bill (AWB) from the airline with the correct Consignee details and Notify Party details must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to departure.

With all this done, your pet is ready to fly to USA.

At certain times of the year there are restrictions for flying due to ground temperatures. Please check on these embargos when making your booking.

If in boarding, your pets’ travel crate will be fitted with a mattress for more comfort (together with anything you may have left for the animals peace of mind), a funnel and watering dish and a small supply of food in case there are any unforseen delays en route. We thrive in making your pet as comfortable and stress free as possible for its journey.