"STEP-BY-STEP" Guide to preparing your pet to travel to UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
CATS remain fairly simple, but a lot has changed for DOGS since July 2021. Please be sure to read the following CDC website thoroughly to prepare for taking your DOG to the US: https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html.
In a nutshell:
- Micro-chips compulsory.
- Ensure your pet is FULLY vaccinated:- DHLP + Rabies (DOGS) and FRCPV + Rabies (CATS). The vaccination must be within 12 months, but not less than 30 days prior to departure date. There must be at least one rabies vaccination that follows the date of microchipping.
- Rabies antibody testing IS now a requirement for entering the USA (same as for UK, EU and Dubai). This must be drawn at least >30 days AFTER rabies vaccination. The blood must be sent to an APPROVED LAB for testing (https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/approved-labs.html).
- With a successful rabies blood test, the dog can enter the US after 90 DAYS from blood sampling only through an approved port of entry (https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/apply-dog-import-permit.html#approved-ports).
- Once you have received the blood results you must apply for an IMPORT PERMIT (https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/apply-dog-import-permit.html). Import permit can take up to 6 weeks or more to receive, and are valid for 1 year.
- It is advisable to identify an ‘agent’ at destination that will be able to advise you on the clearing procedure once the animal arrives there.
- Your pet will need an IATA compliant travel crate as mentioned in the General Requirements. Wooden crates ARE accepted into the USA and do not require fumigation unless specified.
- Book your flight. If you will be using Yapperville for boarding we will arrange all this. If you will be travelling with your pet (as ‘excess’ checked baggage) you will need to contact the airline yourself to make your flight booking.
- Get your pets’ HEALTH CERTIFICATE issued by your vet dated 4 - 5 days prior to departure. This MUST mention that the dog is free from screw worm, and must also indicate whether the animal is neutered or not.
- Obtain an EXPORT PERMIT (this is valid for 10 days). For this all ORIGINAL documents are required (Health Certificate, vaccination record).
- An Airway Bill (AWB) from the airline with the correct Consignee details and Notify Party details must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to departure.
With all this done, your pet is ready to fly to USA.
At certain times of the year there are restrictions for flying due to ground temperatures. Please check on these embargos when making your booking.
If in boarding, your pets’ travel crate will be fitted with a mattress for more comfort (together with anything you may have left for the animals peace of mind), a funnel and watering dish and a small supply of food in case there are any unforeseen delays en route. We thrive in making your pet as comfortable and stress free as possible for its journey.