"STEP-BY-STEP" Guide to preparing your pet to travel to SOUTH AFRICA:
- Have your pet MICRO-CHIPPED if not already done. Date, time and site of implantation must be indicated on the dogs vaccination card, and if possible a microchip certificate issued by the vet. The microchip barcode must be attached to the card.
- Ensure your pet is FULLY vaccinated:-DHLP + Rabies (DOGS) and FRCPV + Rabies (CATS). The vaccination must be within 12 months, but not less than 30 days prior to departure date.
- Rabies Antibody testing is not a requirement for entry into South Africa (it is for UK, EU and Dubai).
- Identify an ‘agent’(or vet) in your destination country that will be able to advise you on the clearing procedure once the animal arrives there, and help you get an SA Import Permit from the Department of Agriculture in Pretoria, of which we will need a copy. Companies we work closely with are wemovepets.co.za, www.petsentransit.co.za, www.globalpaws.co.za, and www.animaltravel.co.za,– but many others can be found on the internet.
- Your pet will need an IATA approved travel crate as mentioned in the General Requirements. Please enquire about size and also wooden vs. plastic crates. Let us know the outside dimensions of the crate so that we can get you a quote for the flight a.s.a.p.
- Book your flight. If you will be using Yapperville for boarding we will arrange all this. Animals arriving in South Africa MUST do so as MANIFEST CARGO.
- Dogs must have been tested and certified FREE from the following 5 diseases WITHIN 30 DAYS of export date by means of blood tests, unless the veterinary authorities can certify the country of origin to be free from any of the diseases:
- A SOUTH AFRICAN HEALTH CERTIFICATE MUST BE completed, signed and stamped by the local Kenya Government Vet within 10 days of travel. This is the only Health Certificate form that will be accepted by the South African Government Vet who inspects the pet on arrival in SA. Download health certificate for DOGS HERE and for CATS download HERE .
- Get your pets’ HEALTH CERTIFICATE issued by your vet dated 4 - 5 days prior to departure. Obtain an EXPORT PERMIT (this is valid for 3 - 4 days). For this all ORIGINAL documents are required (Health Certificate, EU Health Certificate, vaccination record, Rabies antibody certificate).
- An Airway Bill (AWB) from the airline with the correct Consignee details and Notify Party details must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to departure.
- ALL dogs must arrive with a 6 month supply of HEARTWORM treatment.
- There may be up to 14 days quarantine for dogs, but no quarantine for cats.
With all this done, your pet is ready to fly to South Africa.
If in boarding, your pets’ travel crate will be fitted with a mattress for more comfort (together with anything you may have left for the animals peace of mind), a funnel and watering dish and a small supply of food in case there are any unforseen delays en route. We thrive in making your pet as comfortable and stress free as possible for its journey.