Requirements: Importing to UK, EU Countries and DUBAI

flag-uaeflag-uk flag-eu

"STEP-BY-STEP" Guide to preparing your pet to travel to UK, EU and DUBAI:

Before you start, please be sure to check the LIST OF BANNED BREEDS in certain countries - UAE is VERY STRICT on this.


Have your pet MICRO-CHIPPED if not already done. Datetime and site of implantation must be indicated on the dogs vaccination card, and if possible a microchip certificate issued by the vet. The microchip barcode must be attached to the card.

For the EU and UK the microchip MUST have been inserted BEFORE the rabies vaccination that the blood test refers to (See Point 3). If this is not the case, then you must have your pet microchipped and then re-vaccinated for RABIES regardless of the last date of rabies vaccination.


Ensure your pet is up to date on ALL vaccinations:- DHLP + Rabies (DOGS) and FRCPV + Rabies (CATS).The vaccination must be within 12 months, but not less than 30 days prior to departure date - unless a 3 year validity is CLEARLY indicated.


The pet MUST be RABIES ANTIBODY TESTED. This involves taking blood from the animal and sending it to a recognized Laboratory for testing (South Africa, Germany, France, UK). The animal must be more than 30 days but less than 1 year from the last rabies vaccination for this test. Your vet should be able to assist you with this, but it is a service we can provide at Yapperville if your pet is boarding with us.


Taking it that the antibody levels tested are up to international standards, your pet can only travel 90 days or more AFTER the date the blood was taken from the animal to the EU and UK.

For DUBAI  - new changes effective from 18th October, 2016:

  • Following sampling date, at least 12 weeks must pass prior to entering the UAE. The test is only valid for 12 months.

During this period, it is advisable to identify an ‘agent’ (or vet) in your destination country that will be able to advise you on the clearing procedure once the animal arrives there. For animals travelling to UK, you can contact JCS Livestock ( or JALSA (UK) LTD ( - official clearing agents for UK (of which there are others not mentioned here). If traveling on British Airways, the JCS Livestock fee will already be pre-paid with the flight, but they do have other paperwork that needs filling out. Other pet relocation companies that we have worked with are, and (UK) and (Dubai) – but many others can be found on the internet.


Your pet will need an IATA compliant travel crate as mentioned in the General Requirements. Please inquire about size and also wooden vs. plastic crates. Let us know the outside dimensions of the crate so that we can get you a quote for the flight a.s.a.p. Wooden crates MAY need to be fumigated before departure - the fumigation certificate is usually valid for 3 months (90 days) from date of issue.


Book your flight. If you will be using Yapperville for boarding we will arrange all this.

An Airway Bill (AWB) from the airline with the correct Consignee details and Notify Party details must be obtained at least 48 hours prior to departure.

If you will be travelling with your pet (as ‘excess/accompanied’ checked baggage) you will need to contact the airline yourself to make your flight booking.


At least 4 - 5 days prior to departure you will need to complete/have the following in order to obtain the export permit:

  • An EU HEALTH CERTIFICATE Annex IV (download ) and Owner declaration Annex IV (download ) . This can be obtained from Yapperville/your agent. This form will need to be endorsed by a Government vet at the time of attaining the Export Permit. This form is for pets arriving within +/- 5 days of their owner.
  • There is a different form, Annex I  and Owner declaration Annex I for pets that are arriving more than 5 days after their owner - however your pet shipper should know about this and have the necessary form. UK now have different forms from the EU - please check with your agent.
  • DUBAI - introduction of a UAE specific Health Certificate (effective 18.10.16).
  • Get your pets’ local HEALTH CERTIFICATE issued by your vet dated 4 - 5 days prior to departure. Animals MUST be dewormed against tapeworm between 2 - 5 days BEFORE arriving in the UK. This must be indicated in the animals vaccination card, on the UK Health Certificate and on your own vets' Health Certificate.
  • A copy of the IMPORT PERMIT (permission for import document) for the destination country if required.

Obtain an EXPORT PERMIT through an authorized agent (this is valid for 14 days from date of issue) from the Director of Veterinary Services. For this all ORIGINAL documents are required (Health Certificate, EU/UK Health Certificate, vaccination record, RNATT).


With all this done, your pet is ready to fly to any of the EU countries, UK or Dubai.

If in boarding, your pets’ travel crate will be fitted with a mattress for more comfort (together with anything you may have left for the animals peace of mind), a funnel and watering dish and a small supply of food in case there are any unforseen delays en route. We thrive in making your pet as comfortable and stress free as possible for its journey.